My photo
We are a family of fifteen: eight already with Jesus and seven in desperate need of Him. This is the story God is writing in our lives. Proverbs 16:9

Monday, August 24, 2009

A Change of Mini Van Music

One of my favorite memories of my childhood home was listening to my dad's records; the real ones. I distinctly remember sitting at the dining room table at Christmastime listening to Amy Grant's "Tennessee Christmas" on vinyl. When I moved out of my parent's house, I purchased one of my dad's band's Compact Disks. I will never forget popping it into my Toyta Tercel player. Singing along to "Cool Change" by The Little River Band was nostalgic, but still not as good as hearing it on vinyl!

During our packing, packing, and still more packing, I stuck all our CD's into one of those books with sleeves and stored the cases. We took the book down to the van and broke out some of our teen years' favorites for the boys to listen to. We sampled a few oldies like the Third Day peach CD, Michael W Smith's "Missing Person", the Newsboys "Shine"... I could go on and on.

Last night after church, the boys were still feeling restless in the car on the way home from church. Andrew was singing in falsetto something about pancakes- I think. Having a slight headache from the sound of his precious voice bouncing all over the inside of the car, I suggested we turn on some music we could all enjoy peacefully together. I looked through our selection, Best of Bach... Nichole Nordeman... Bela Fleck... Seeds Worship... Nickel Creek... Ahhhh... The choice was obvious. Five Iron Frenzy Proof that the Youth Are Revolting. I chose it for a couple of reasons. One- I thought the boys would enjoy hearing the wind instruments and two- I could tell the the story of how mommy and daddy were at this concert when they were first married and "sang backup" with hundreds of other people on the CD (It's true! Our names are listed with the others on the CD insert!!!). My super hip stage name as printed is "Tiffany Childs" and my husbands is "Micha":)

From the first sound of Reese Roper opening the concert with a high F, 16 beat shout "To Hell with the Devil!!!!!!!" to song number 6 "Receive Him" (literally the whole song with a few drum rolls at the beginning), the boys laughed and danced as hard as two boys can strapped in to a Mazda MPV. I can say it provided a joyous ride home and needless to say, my headache subsided. Next time I have a migraine, it is loud falsetto singing and a ska beat for me. I wonder what the boys memories of "Daddy and Mommy's music" will be?

For those of you that were hoping for an update on our family and our move, we are waiting. Micah puts it well: we are not anxious, just restless. Waiting is hard and the boxes in our house are looming. Things do feel a little upside down--- Ok a lot upside down. Please continue to pray for us- that God would continue to make our path straight. We don't want it to be just any place, but His place for us. Pray that we don't miss opportunities today while we look ahead to the future.

No comments: