My photo
We are a family of fifteen: eight already with Jesus and seven in desperate need of Him. This is the story God is writing in our lives. Proverbs 16:9

Friday, October 31, 2014

October

This month has been Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. While that name seems 50% odd to me, I still appreciate the thoughts behind it. It gives me a place to speak freely (as if I don't anyway;)) and consider again the story God is writing in my life. Those who have had the privilege to have known their little ones for one day or many days bear an indelible mark that signifies the value of life. For me, there isn't a day when I do not anticipate in some way the day when I will behold the face of Jesus, then my eight little ones with Him. Some days, it is more near to my consciousness and others, it remains a lilt in the music that steadily plays in my soul. I daresay it is the experience of others as well. I wait. I remember. I miss them. I am thankful. What gifts they have been to me. They remind me to keep my eyes ahead toward hope.

This particular October day is Reformation Day. In 1517, Martin Luther nailed 95 theses on the door of Castle Church in Wittenberg with objections of specific teachings and practices of Roman Catholicism. For more contemporary thoughts about the significance of Reformation Day, you can follow this link. I am thankful for the gift of Martin Luther to the church. Over the past couple of years, Luther's "robust notion of justification by faith" as Justin Holcomb eludes, has become more precious to me. Sola Fide has become hope theologized, and has led me again to the person of Hope, Jesus Christ.

After all this sober contemplation, I have to get back to the people around here beginning to don tutus and suits in anticipation of greeting our neighbors tonight with a big bowl of chocolate and sugar (if I don't eat it all first).

To Him, who is above all Octobers and remembrances alike, be glory and honor today and everyday.


1 comment:

Lara said...

Happy Reformation Day!