My photo
We are a family of fifteen: eight already with Jesus and seven in desperate need of Him. This is the story God is writing in our lives. Proverbs 16:9

Friday, October 01, 2010

Returning to Louisville

Like recalling my parents' signature fragrances; my mom's sweet and warm like nectar and dad's spicy and fresh... Like the taste of the strawberry-cheesecake lollipops I used to get at Don's Seafood when I was a little girl... Like the sound of walking across my great-grandmother's living room, rattling the items in her china cabinet... It is odd to "think" sounds, smells, and tastes, but gratifying and comforting to feel the deep-rooted emotions each evokes. These are the closest analogies I can use to describe the feeling of driving into Louisville again last week. Even though I didn't grow up here, I really grew up here. The sound of the interstate, the signs and buildings along the way that encourage us to "remember when...", the kinds of trees changing along the rolls of the hills, the food in the local restaurants we had grown to love... It was a long road that led us here, but that made the ride in all the more sweet. Our favorite part of the return was all the familiar faces that welcomed us back: some perplexed at the sight of the Childs family after a year's absence and others intentional about sharing a smile and kind word and in some cases, a meal and good company. How gracious of God to love us in such a tangible, audible way. We really needed this move. Thanks for all the prayers and encouraging words over the past week.

4 comments:

thewifeoflee said...

What a beautiful mental picture. I felt a similar way when we passed through in August. The challenges we faced there have turned into sweet memories as we recall how we grew through them. I'm so thankful for you to have this time and I pray that however long or short it may be, you will be filled with love, joy, and encouragement through the familiar!

Anna M said...

I'm so glad you were able to return "home" and be surrounded by folks who love you. Enjoy your time (maybe it will be for a while, this go round!).

Denise said...

So glad you are back to KY! Enjoy your stay! If you decide you want to visit N'ville let us know! We have room!

Anonymous said...

So glad to have you back!!
Jaime