My photo
We are a family of fifteen: eight already with Jesus and seven in desperate need of Him. This is the story God is writing in our lives. Proverbs 16:9

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Blogging at the Speed of Life

I used to work for a pediatrician that had a theory about why time seems to move faster the older you are. He said that one year in the life of a five-year-old is 1/5 (or 0.2) of his life and therefore seems very long. One year in the life of a 30 year old is 1/30 (or 0.03333) of her life and seems to go by quickly. If I recall correctly, I wasn't always very good at fractions in school, but it sure appears like a valid theory to me! These last few weeks have flown by. The Bible definitely has something to say about this. In the book of James, I am reminded that my life is like a mist that appears for a little while then vanishes. I have a friend whose entire blog is devoted to this idea. It is gracious of God to give us this perspective as we move from day to day.
One thing we do often is walk. This is a stretch of sidewalk we frequent on the way to Chick-fil-a. This particular day, Andrew saw the road ahead and told Elijah to hold his hand "for safety"!


Micah's boss and his family took us out on Taylorsville Lake recently. Micah and I tried- and I emphasize TRIED!- to water ski. The boys especially enjoyed the way the boat went really fast!


On June 6th, my baby brother graduated from high school. Congratulations Matt!!! We were fortunate to get to celebrate with him. I wrote a song in his honor that will tell you a little bit about what a cool brother/uncle he is.
Matt's Song
I hear Matt’s graduating this year
Moving to a brand new place in life
That will surely leave big basketball shoes to fill
What will the Journal Patriot write about next year?

Oh I hear Matt’s leaving town
Getting a ASU t-shirt instead of a graduation gown
All the high school girls around the state
Are out of luck finding another tall prom date

There is one less Eagle Scout to help if you’re caught in a bind
To put out your campfire and untangle your fishing line
One less day camp counselor and praise band drummer
Yard mower and guitar strummer

The road ahead for Matt is paved and promising
I’m sure he’ll miss the comforts home can bring
Though his parents might not know what to do with all the money they will save
With no more of Matt’s friends to feed brownies and grape kool-aid

Oh There is one less Eagle Scout to help if you’re caught in a bind
To put out your campfire and untangle your fishing line
One less day camp counselor and praise band drummer
Yard mower and guitar strummer

I hear Matt’s gone this year
And of course, I want to give him this advice
Find your place in God’s story and give Him all the glory
Be known for love and grace, in everything give thanks
To the One to whom your whole life belongs
Let His light in you shine strong

I have more pictures from our NC trip that I will share later. Our big news is that Micah has been accepted into the Interim Operator Program with Chick-fil-a. This summer, he will spend three weeks training to be put into a store for a trial period. God has blessed him so much in his abilities and we are so thankful and humbled by this next step for him. Please pray for us that we continue to work hard yet yield to God's will and leading for our family.

In the spirit of slowing down, I took a picture of the sky outside our window one evening. It was brilliant. The camera didn't do it justice.

3 comments:

Susan West said...

Tiffany, We are all so happy and proud for Micah. He works so hard. It it great to see him being rewarded for his diligent efforts.
Blessings,Susan West

Anna M said...

Wow, it's hard to believe that Matt has graduated! I remember when he was born and we were taking dance lessons. What a great song you wrote him, Tiffany!

Cara Meyer said...

THE GIRLS SAY HI TO YOUR BOYS! WE MISS YOU ALL. :)