My photo
We are a family of fifteen: eight already with Jesus and seven in desperate need of Him. This is the story God is writing in our lives. Proverbs 16:9

Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Great High Priest

A couple of years ago, I was really struggling to find ways to involve myself in more formal opportunities to study God's word. Here lately, the opportunities seem endless! There is one recurring theme that seems to jump out of whatever study I am doing. It has been one of those things that I obviously need to pay attention to. Whether in Exodus, Hebrews, or studying the concept of God's sustaining and sanctifying grace, meditating on Jesus as my Great High Priest has been such an encouragement to me.

Last night during the Presidential debate, there was a statement John McCain made several times in regard to Barack Obama that stuck out. He said many times, "You don't understand". I have thought a lot about the context of his statement, promoting his foreign policy experience over Obama's lack thereof. As I contemplated the validity of this my brain left the Presidential debate and I was again brought back to my study of Hebrews; particularly Hebrews 4:14-16.

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. for we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

It has been comforting and convicting for me lately to allow this to sink in. I have many times used "you don't understand" as an anthem to acquit myself of responsibilities before God in the way I deal with life. I remember thinking it as early as I remember thinking, that I wanted my way over what my parents asked of me because they surely didn't understand me. In school it really seemed to follow me into relationships with friends, as it drew clique-like circles around groups with the same understandings. Later on in life, it has brought sanctification and sometimes pain as trying to understand has seemed more important in maintaining and growing relationships with others.

It offers me much hope to realize that the King of Kings can sympathize with my weaknesses, whatever they are, and is interceding on my behalf in ways even I do not have the capacity to ask for. He is intimately acquainted with and desires the best for me in the most perfect way. My old excuse of "you don't understand" is obliterated in light of His divine human experience and perfect understanding.

No comments: